Advisory work to local, state and federal governments includes design review of numerous developments and proposals for public places; advice about the procurement of high quality design in the public realm; and the review of processes relating to the procurement of major public infrastructure. Advice has also been sought by and provided to the private sector, in relation to the achievement of high quality outcomes for large scale projects.
Relevant appointments include:
- Chair of the National Capital Authority. The NCA exists to manage planning and development of the National Capital, to promote an awareness of its significance, and to maintain and advocate for enhancement of the National Capital Estate.
- National President of the Australian Institute of Architects (mid 2012 – mid 2013), the peak professional body and a national organisation consisting of more than 10,000 members across Australia and overseas.
- Chair, Architecture Advisory Board, Faculty of Architecture at the University of Melbourne
- Deputy Chair of the Heritage Council of Victoria for four years to end June 2012.
- Co-chair of the Barangaroo Review. Undertaken in 2011 for the Minister for Planning, New South Wales, this was a review of the processes which had led to planning approvals for the 22 hectare development west of Circular Quay.
- Chair, Premier’s Design Awards, State of Design Victoria in 2010.
- Associate Victorian Government Architect from 2006 – 2010. This role focused on establishment of the Office of the Victorian Government Architect, providing strategic advice to government and on advocacy for better outcomes throughout Victoria’s built environment.
- Board member, Linking Melbourne Authority, for three years until end June 2012. LMA is charged with the delivery of a number of major transport projects for Victoria.
- Board member, Architects Registration Board of Victoria 2006 – 2009.
- Member, Victorian Design Advisory Council 2002-2004.
- Design Director, Office of NSW Government Architect, in 2000 and 2001.
Shelley Penn has chaired or been a member of numerous design review panels for significant state and local government and private sector projects in Victoria, New South Wales and South Australia. In addition, she has chaired or been a member of more than twenty juries for design awards conducted by the Australian Institute of Architects, and by local government.
Work contributing to better urban outcomes has also included delivery of several public lectures and membership of various panels debating design and urban issues in the public realm.
Recent & Current Design Review / Jury Roles have included:
- Member, Victorian Design Review Panel
- Member, Capital City Design Review Panel, Adelaide
- Chair, Kings Square Fremantle Design Competition
- Chair, Royal Adelaide Hospital Site Design Ideas Competition
- Juror, Casey Cultural Precinct Design Competition
- Chair, Australian Institute of Architects National Architecture Awards 2013